Teaching and Training
Verna Mumby facilitates successful workshops for tree professionals on:
- Introductory Tree Appraisal
- Hands-On Insect and Disease Identification
- Tree Care: Pruning / Planting / Plant Health Care (PHC)
Introductory Tree Appraisal
In two days, Introductory Tree Appraisal workshop participants learn the basics of tree appraisal in accordance with the current ISA edition of the Guide to Plant Appraisal.
Participant comments about previous workshops:
- The tools and formula are very helpful also pointing out the different information packages available at PNW is appreciated.
- The discussions with the other attendees made this course an invaluable one.
- Case studies at the end were very appreciated.
- Excellent instructors and the actual hands on field work were really great.
- Good handouts, good practicum, the small class was a bonus.
The Insect and Disease ID
In thisworkshop, participants view actual samples of most insects and diseases and participate in fieldwork in a local park. A hands-on quiz completes the workshop.
Participant comments about the workshop:
- Good review of insects and diseases, loved the hands on aspect of the workshop.
- Great refresher and opportunity to apply the knowledge at the park.
Tree Care Workshops
The workshop for the Society to prevent Dutch Elm Disease (STOPDED) included lectures on Dutch Elm Disease (DED), tree pruning and tree care. The workshop included both classroom and field segments.
DED Program Coordinator for STOPDED, Janet Feddes-Calpas remarked about the workshops:
- On behalf of the Society to Prevent Dutch Elm Disease, I would like to thank you for providing us with your educational services at the STOPDED workshops. All the workshops went over very well and there were many positive comments. Your presentation and material was excellent.
Tree Pruning Certification Workshops
Verna teaches the provincial Tree Pruning certification course for Saskatchewan Polytechnic Agriculture Programs out of Regina, Saskatchewan.